Tuesday, November 29, 2011

How to fix 95 percent of iOS app crashes

 

To reboot (i.e. reset) your iDevice, hold down the Home and Sleep/Wake buttons for about 10 seconds.

(Credit: Screenshot by Rick Broida)

iOS isn't perfect. There, I said it. This will become evident to anyone who's ever tried to figure out Notification Center or organize contacts into groups.

And I guarantee that at some point or another, you've installed a shiny new app, only to have it crash on you, either the moment you ran it or maybe a few minutes in.

Indeed, the App Store is packed to the gills with user reviews like these:

"Crashes about a minute into the game."

"App wouldn't load. Zero stars!"

"Won't run on my iPad 2--crashes right after I tap the icon."

So what's going on here? Bad programming? In some cases, yes. Some apps are just plain buggy. But if you install a new one and immediately have problems getting it to run, there's an easy fix:

Reset your iPhone. Or iPad. Or iPod Touch.

The harsh reality is that sometimes, just like with Windows (there, I said it), iDevices need to be rebooted. Whenever I encounter a flaky, crash-prone app (particularly one that's new to my device), I reboot, and presto: problem solved.

Your mileage may vary, of course, but before you write a negative review and/or delete the app in disgust, at least... [Read more]

How to fix 95 percent of iOS app crashes
Rick Broida
Mon, 28 Nov 2011 17:48:13 GMT

No comments:

Post a Comment