Welcome to this morning’s edition of “First To Know,” a series in which we keep you in the know on what’s happening in the digital world. We’re keeping our eyes on five particular stories of interest today.
Google Hosting Press Event in L.A.
Apple Announces New Chairman, Board Member
Facebook Fights Flood of Violent and Pornographic Spam
Facebook is investigating violent and pornographic images spammers have planted in its network.
Kindle Fire & Nook Tablet Now Shipping
Pre-orders of Amazon’s Kindle Fire and Kindle Touch ereaders, as well as Barnes & Noble’s Nook tablet, are arriving in customers’ hands ahead of schedule.
Cox to Exit Wireless Business
Cox is set to cease selling wireless plans Wednesday, according to a leaked memo.
- YouTube sensation Rebecca Black has released her third single.
- Facebook, Google and Zynga have announced their opposition to the Stop Online Piracy Act, also known as the E-Parasite Act.
- Qualcomm has announced the expansion of its line of Snapdragon S4 mobile processors, as well as upgrades to its Snapdragon S1 processors for entry-level smartphones.
- Miramax has signed a streaming agreement with Netflix’s UK and Ireland streaming service, set to launch early next year.
- Nokia might release a Windows 8-based tablet by June 2012, as well as upgrades to recent Windows Phone 7 releases Nokia Lumia 800 and 710 by that time, says head of Nokia France Paul Amsellem.
- Apple is investigating pollution concerns at 15 supply plants.
Google Music Store, Apple Board Changes, Nook Tablet Now Shipping: Today’s Top Stories
Wed, 16 Nov 2011 13:57:07 GMT