Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Horizon Organic Milk Review..



Last night while I was making dinner.. I was looking over my organic milk carton and really thought about why organic milk.. and I also wondered how many of you guys out there prefer organic and why..


So that got me thinking and I figured today I would put together a post to explain a little bit about this particular brand of organic milk and why I like it!

. I like the great tasting whole milk with DHA Omega-3. The DHA Omega-3 is an important nutrient that helps support heart, brain and eye health. DHA is particularly important during the first two years of life and early childhood. Between birth and five years of age, the human brain increases approximately 3.5 times in mass. It is important that children consume adequate amounts of DHA in their diet to support this period of rapid brain and eye growth and development. DHA ensures that cells in the brain, retina, heart and other parts of the nervous system develop and function properly. ..
Most children today do not consume the necessary amount of DHA in their diets... Horizon milk with DHA helps children obtain 20% of the daily value they need, per serving.So for all you guys out there with little ones.. this is a great choice for them and  you too. We don't have young children in the house anymore but I know that the DHA is not only good for young children but for adults too. There are tons of great studys out there proving that brain development continiues through our entire lives not just in childhood.




Another thing that I loooove about this milk is.. it stays fresh for so long. After doing some research I think it is from the "ultrapasteurization". One source of confusion is that there are actually several ultrapasteurization techniques using different temperatures. The higher the temperature (or longer the cooking time or combination of the two) the longer the milk will keep... The highest levels produce the "shelf-stable" milk that will keep without refrigeration indefinitely.


I remember in cooking school when " organic " was not all the rage.. We had a speaker ( from where I don't remember ) but a student asked what area was organic the most important.. The Answer..


→ Dairy ←


Why is non-organic milk bad for you?


Several reasons... most cows on dairy farms are treated with synthetic growth hormones to increase milk production. As anyone knows what a cow eats and drinks or what is absorbed in it's body is then passed on through it's milk. We are drinking large amounts of the very same hormones that were given to a full grown cow!! Humans are much smaller creatures than cows, especially our children. These hormones are not good for our bodies. Even small amounts can have big effects on our health.Dr. Oz has a lot of information on this topic.. Really Really Interesting.


Antibiotics is another common problem with non-organic cows milk... There is an overuse of antibiotics given to dairy cows. We all know taking antibiotics on a regular basis destroys our own bodies ability to fight off sickness. Do we really need to be drinking and eating it in our dairy products? I think not.


Last but not least....Pesticides. Non-organic milk comes from cows who are fed grain loaded with pesticides. Again...what the cow eats, we eat. I don't understand why people don't get this. I mean.. really.. Its just a like a mother who is nursing. What goes into her.. comes out in her milk.. same with the cows.


Horizon Dairy:


Since 1991, Horizon has produced wholesome and delicious organic dairy products. Horizon Organic products are produced without antibiotics, pesticides or cloning, from cows not given added growth hormones. They carry the USDA certified organic seal and are produced in partnership with nearly 500 organic family farms. Horizon helps convert more land to earth-friendly organic agriculture and supports kindness to animals and the environment. Horizon cares about your families health and well being and it shows with the amount of thought and care they take in producing quality dairy products.


These are someo of our other Horizon items in the house. I took this picture a long time ago..when the kids were here last summer.. but I still buy everything but the yogurt. Funny.. I have been wanting to do a post about this for that long! Just glad last night it crossed my mind.


I want to people everywhere that even if you cannot afford to make the switch to organic dairy for your entire family, at least ensure your growing children are consuming organic dairy... It is very important for your child's health. You may not physically see the damage that is taking place, but all those hormones, antibiotics, and pesticides are adding up and can have life long effects. With cancer lurking all around in our modern day society, it makes you wonder if this is not part of the cause. Agian .. Dr. Oz talks a lot about this.. And btw.. My mom loooooves Dr. Oz!! She calls all the time with information she has heard him talk about! Really Smart Man.


I hope you guys will send me an email to kishajaggers@aol.com and let me know what your thoughts are re organic vs non organic. Do you prefer organic??? And how many of you guys have tried Horizion Milk?? Really courious!!!


For me.. Organic all the way.. I know all the debate out there about this topic. But for some reason I want the stuff made with less chemicals.. Call me crazy but I think that alone HAS to be better for you..


Send me your thoughts!


K Jaggers

No comments:

Post a Comment